View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Chris

Default Home Run Derby Cards

Hi all,

For those that follow the pickup thread, this may seem a bit repetitive so I apologize. I did not want to hijack that thread, so I am starting a new one.

I recently picked up a near complete set of Home Run Derby cards. The only card that is missing is the host, which seems to be a bit of a trend. I've included pictures of the set below as well as highlights of some of the key cards. The Mantle is the only one that really fits into my collection, so I will be selling the rest. I am not starting this thread for purposes of selling them or else I would have placed it in the BST section. I'd really just like some advice on how to proceed.

For example, any insight on the following would be greatly appreciated:
1. Should I get some/all of the cards graded before selling? As you may be able to see from the pictures, about half of them have pin holes in them.
2. If I do get them graded, who should I use? I saw a picture of an SGC card that was an SGC 1.5 and had a pin hole. But, I know the PSA set collectors are the ones that are most likely to want these cards.
3. What would the Mantle grade out at? It has a small crease and probably a little staining like the others (my camera phone pictures are not the best). It will be taking a permanent spot in my safe but more curious than anything else.
4. What would you recommend as an avenue for selling these? I was considering BST but don't know the fair market value for the cards given the condition and limited number of sales in the past.
5. Should I sell as a lot or piece it out?

Thanks in advance for any insight. I have never graded a card before and rarely sell anything. I think in my years collecting I have only parted with three cards, and one was through a trade.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a near set of Home Run Derby cards (all but the host). For those that follow the pickup thread, this thread may seem a little duplicative so my apologies (I did not want to solicit advice there and hijack the thread). I plan to sell 18 of the cards as the Mantle is the only one that fit into my collection, my savings account

Last edited by Bestdj777; 06-15-2014 at 01:59 PM.