View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Robert A

Default E90-3 Revisited (SCD Checklist adjustment)

Hi guys,

It's been about 5 or 6 years since we've had a thread talking about this set.

Anyone actively collecting it these days?

It's long been one of my favorites and it seems that though the popularity has died down a bit that they've also dried up. You don't see a ton of them for sale. You do see an occasional Schulte or Hofman which are a bit easier to find then other cards, but I don't see a lot of the other players come around.

One thing I'd like to comment on which is not groundbreaking but I think needs to be addressed is the tinker color variation. Though it can be found with blue (very rarely) and green backgrounds it should definitely not be included as part of the set as it was not purposely intended as a variation, but rather is an error.

The SCD lists all the players in the checklist and then the two tinkers.

We know now that many players have been found with color variations so I think the tinker needs to come out of the checklist once and for all.

For those that are interested, the players that I've seen with color variations are Dougherty, Smith, Cole, Payne, and Tinker. I've also heard tell of a Chance. Anyone seen any other players with two color backgrounds?

With the backs, it's interesting that the A.C. company went ahead and changed the backs (prudently) to say "all the star players" but left the "100 subjects" tag for E90-2 which is a similar spin off set.

With the fronts, although they share a similar design on the font tag line with E90-1, the lithography looks to be better quality in my opinion and the printers used only a limited number of colors.

Also curious for those who have "found" these cards out in the real world where you found them. I've found them out of the hobby in the midwest twice which lends a tiny bit of credibility to the cards being manufactured and/or distributed in the chicago area. There have also been reported finds on the west coast.

It's an interesting and beautiful set. Even 100+ years ago, the set documents the crosstown chicago baseball rivalry. It also captures the cubs last world series team.

Rob