View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Default Looking for information about e98 "Old Put" cards

Posted By: robert a

The main two aspects of what makes "Old Puts" significant to me is that the stamp has been placed on an otherwise ANONYMOUS issue and that the stamp has NEVER BEEN FOUND ON ANOTHER ISSUE. The only other stamp that I know of that is only found on one issue is the Swift stamp.

Were they stamped at the factory?

Were they stamped by a retailer?

We may never know. I guess if we could find out when Old Put cigars were in full force, we could at least confirm the POSSIBILITY that Old Put is the issuer.

All of the red background Old Puts (I've personally only seen one blue background which is posted in this thread) have been stamped facing the same way. Perhaps the retailer had a stack of red and a stack of blue and went through with the stamper. Some Old Puts are lighter than others which tells me that they weren't put on at any factory, although it remains a possibility.

I think that there was probably some promotion that when you bought a cigar at the shop, the retailer gave you a stamped baseball card to go with it.

Why are there more hofers around? Because people held onto the popular players longer than the semi-popular players AND because the customer might've requested a certain player when he bought his cigar.

I don't know how many exist, but would guess that some players don't exist at all and other players may only have one example floating around.

It would be very interesting to me to one day try to document all of the players found with an Old Put back, but I imagine there are a few in private collections. If anyone has another blue backed Old Put, I'd love to hear about it.

Anyways, it's fun to theorize on these.

Rob