View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Default Complete or near-complete N172 player sets?

Posted By: Joe_G.

The single largest obstacle by far is the California League subset with 17 different players currently known to exist. I believe some of these players are unique (only one known copy of the card). Then I'd estimate perhaps another 20 players that are difficult but certainly collectable including some of the script cards and certain 1888 (Fb) cards and even a couple 1889s to boot.

If you are only after one copy of each player, that takes difficulty away from trying to find certain pose rarities such as the Anson in uniform and the Deacon White portrait (McGreachery error). Similarily, no concerns over trying to find 1890 Players League / National League variations.

Total # of players stands at 519 (512 + 12 - 5)
512 = last World Index Listing
12 = number of cards listed between 1-512 as a xxx.5
5 = number of world index numbers that were skipped (57, 169, 219, 256, & 307 - previously listed as McGreachery which is now listed as a pose for Deacon White)

I'd guess that maybe 3 collectors have hit the 500 player mark, perhaps another dozen have hit 400 players. Our very own board member, Alan Sassoon, is nearing 75% completion on SGCs registry and I believe he is less than two years into collecting them, but like anything else will become increasingly difficult to add to.

But, there are so many ways to collect the cards. As most of you know, I collect the members of the 1887 Detroit Wolverines. 9 players were represented in 1887 on the "0" numbered cards amongst 28 poses. I'm down to 6 poses to complete all 28 (note that the "0" numbered cards are easier to collect and somewhat popular since they cover all 8 National League teams + Brooklyn).

If you want to talk poses, on average, there are just under 5 poses per player. Some players are represented with a single pose, with Dorgan taking top honors with 17 different poses all first issued in 1887. It should be noted that in many cases there is little correlation between # of poses and rarity of the player.

I always thought it would be fun to pick one of the plentiful 1887 New York players with a lot of poses such as Deasley (14), Dorgan (17), Mattimore (11), etc. and try to complete all the poses.

I could go on and on . . . , but it's Friday night.