View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 10:59 AM
Dave Carson

My first card show was in the early 1970’s (either 72 or 73) in Grove City, Pennsylvania. There were a handful of sellers set up on card tables on the front porch and living room of hobbyist Bill MacTaggart. I was 13 or 14 at the time and had made contact with Bill through one of the newsletter publications of the day (that I found through the Sporting News). Bill invited my brother and I to his show and my parents drove us the hour from Youngstown Ohio.

I don’t remember much about that show other than seeing just all the old cards (my collection started with 1966 Topps bought by my grandfather for me). Bill rented a hall in town the next year and my brother and I set up at those shows for several years. My dad built us some boxes (like today’s 3200 count boxes) out of wood for our set ups to sell our duplicates We also set up at Jim Borgen’s shows at the McKinley Memorial in Niles Ohio for several years.

In 1974 or 75 my parents took us to the show at the Troy Hilton. I remember a dealer talking me in to buying a brick of 1958 Topps with Hank Aaron on top for $10. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to buy it. I did. Probably 50 or so cards in the brick, wrapped in Saran Wrap.

I still correspond regularly with Bill MacTaggart, who is in his early 70’s now. I haven’t seen Bill for 35 years or so - but we trade letters and Christmas cards.