View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 06:35 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

It’s interesting that you won’t argue Mantle vs Duke but have plenty of argument for Willie vs Duke. Willie was clearly the best of the 3. Some would argue that Mays was the greatest player of all time with his defense taken into the equation - and is in most people’s top 3.

No disrespect to the career and legacy of Duke Snider who is a well deserved HOF member. But he’s not in the same class as the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
You like to use WAR (or is it actually a new-speak term called "war-p") which at best is only an approximation of available data which is made up of imprecise assumptions.

I choose OPS as a more meaningful stat to gauge a ballplayer's offensive worth to his team. Because that's what WINS games.

Mays' OPS # is .941 and Snider's OPS # is .919; however, Snider's value to the Dodgers during the regular seasons (1949 - 1959) was amazing. Especially in World Series
play where Snider's numbers are significantly greater than Mays' numbers in World Series play.

Incidentally, you'll get no arguments from me regarding Mickey Mantle. I grew up seeing him play (watching TV and live at Yankee Stadium). Mickey was my idol.

TED Z

T206 Reference