View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Scott Russell

Default Anyone ever send corrections to Baseball Reference?

I do fairly often due to data or info I find on cards, often times missed nicknames. Here's my latest and their response. Thoughts?

>I periodically discover things on vintage baseball cards which have either shed some light on subjects or even contradicted what Baseball Reference lists.
>This is a case of the latter! You have Roy Ellam only listed as playing for Birmingham (and a cup of coffee in the majors with Cincinnati) in the years 1909 - 1915
>However his T206 card, with a production date range of 1909 - 1911 has him listed as Nashville. You even used the image from that card for your picture of Ellam clearly with an"N" on the cap
>However you have his first year of playing for Nashville listed as 1916. This is patently impossible with the very well established production dates of that set of cards!

Thanks for writing. There are many omissions and mistakes in the minor league data, especially before World War II. The images we use come from many sources and are not linked to the data compilation process.

Thanks for writing. I did a quick search of the digitized copies of the 1908, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1912, and 1913 Reach baseball guides as well as of the copies of the the 1909, 1910, 1911, and 1912 Spalding baseball guides, and all of the mentions for Ellam are with teams we show on his player pages, with one exception. Page 171 of the 1911 Spalding guide lists Roy Ellam on the roster of KC in the American Association. I don't know what to do with that, since we don't have stats showing him with KC that year.

I am not familiar with the T206 card set, but unless it is the only source of baseball information in the world that is infallible, it contains mistakes in its information like every other source. Perhaps the card is in error; I can't say. If you have more information, please send it along, but we can't make any edits based on the card alone.

Gary Gillette
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-03-2016 at 07:23 PM.