View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Steve Birmingham

Since we're sort of back on track, here's my take on varieties etc. It's based on how other hobbies approach similar topics and might only work for me.

I prefer the term variety - It's used in another hobby of mine and there refers to a difference on the plate intentional or not. Some are catalog listed, some aren't. Some are expensive, some aren't. The catalogs list most of the major ones, and occasionally some minor ones. They even list some that were added in the 1930's based on very questionable info and the item may not exist. Until someone like me finds it.

I don't specifically collect the varieties on T206. If I have a choice of a nice card or one in lesser condition but with a small variety I'll probably go with the nicer one. If everything is equal I might take the variety.

I enjoy the puzzle of figuring out what they are and what if anything they can tell us about the production process.
But with -by my sort of informed estimate - at least 24 identifiable but nearly identical varieties for most poses in the set (And at least 8 for ALL of them) And with this sort of caption flaw being fairly common, attempting to collect them would be almost entirely insane. Speaking of caption flaws in general, the card posted is probably either paper loss or something stuck to the front, but there is probably a version very similar out there.

Do I think that ANY of the varieties should carry a premium? A qualified NO.
I do believe there will be some that should, but there needs to be a lot more information to be sure, and none of us is there as far as I know. I don't think we're even there as a group, and it's a pretty small group.

I also don't believe that anyone should feel they have to collect them to have the "complete" set. In the other hobbies that have similar things most collectors simply ignore the varieties.

And that makes me very happy some days.

The stray marks on this indicate a poorly erased image of a different stamp on the plate. Something called a foreign entry. Catalog listed, at something over $2k and only about 50-55 were sold with the specimen overprint (And only 91 of the one without the overprint so both are more rare than the upside down airplane stamp )- the normal one is usually around $25 with a catalog value around $50. I was really really happy to find this being sold as the normal one

Steve B