View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Curt

Leon,

I didn't mean it as a negative. I don't surf many of these boards at all, really just this site now and The Bench. This site and that one are miles apart with regard to membership and collecting interests. I bridge that gap somewhat, but I have really only been "seriously" collecting since the 90s and that was for things I liked, not necessarily old or valuable. Prior to that it was a kids game with a kids budget and w/o the foresight to know what would be a better buy, some of those 80s boxed sets or some nice signed vintage cards. I bought my first baseball cards in 1978 at age 9. If only...

I just meant that I am in awe of many of the items posted here and know that trying to obtain similar items now would be extremely costly. I suspect some were obtained long ago and tucked safely into collections and that others are obtained recently by those who have the money to do so.

I have not been on the site long, but I am curious as to the make up of the primary contributing members as to age, profession and such. I always daydream about what an amazing collection one could amass if they were wealthy, as in the multimillions. If Bill Gates collected baseball cards for example, he could pretty much own it all as long as it came up for sale and he caught wind of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Curt- those are great cards. Love the top ones with the bears. I am a bit saddened when someone responds that they feel less than great about our super hobby. As niced as any of our collections are there is almost always someone with something better. Even the very best collections in the world are missing some things. The key is to enjoy what you collect. Also, many folks aren't of the addicted nature, as some board members are, and actually act responsibly when buying cards (myself excluded as I know I am overboard and a lost cause ) ...Once again, love seeing those cards you posted and thanks so much for sharing!! That's what this board is all about, imo.