View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 09:00 PM

Default Research goes a long way...

I am wondering if any fellow board members can share any stories about pieces that were added to their collection and upon further research discovered information that significantly impacted the piece's historical and/or monetary value. Not that one directly impacts the other.

I originally posted this on the June Pick Up thread but thought it would be interesting to see if other board members has similar stories.

Description on the Babe Siebert Lot only described it as a Rare 1938 auto(one year before his death) in a not often seen hand written format, no other important facts.

The reality is that this Post card was written while Babe and the Montreal Canadiens made hockey history when they embarked on the FIRST ever European Tour with the Detroit Red Wings that saw the FIRST ever NHL Exhibition Game in Europe....the FIRST NHL games outside of North America. They would play 9 exhibition games in England and France.

The post card is dated April 26, 1938 and Babe in this post card speaks of," just getting back from one a few minutes ago", and is in Paris. He actually scored in the game that he makes a mention of. Very historical piece with great hockey content.

I added some newspaper clippings of some of the press at that time.

Lucky
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babesiebert1.jpg (76.7 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg babesiebert2.jpg (77.3 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg babegoalApril.jpg (18.5 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg babesiebertnewspaper.jpg (95.6 KB, 286 views)

Last edited by LuckyLuke; 06-24-2018 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Clarity.