View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 11:58 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Baseball cards were a big part of my adolescent youth. I recall getting a factory sealed set of 1987 Topps cards at the age of 11, and then again a set of 1988 at 12. I'd mark up the checklist as I rummaged through the box.

Baseball was my favorite sport, and I was hooked! I'd drag my older friend (who could drive) to as many local card shows as possible and I'd buy a cheap box of junk packs (well, they weren't junk back then lol) and have fun breaking it open at home.

I remember walking a few miles down to a local card shop, buying a pack of 1990 Leaf, pulling a Ken Griffey Jr, and thinking that I'd just struck gold!

My favorite cards at the time were of Will Clark, Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, Ben McDonald, Mike Mussina, Bo Jackson, Mark Grace, David Justice, Cecil Fielder, Kevin Mitchell, Gary Sheffield and many others.

One day, while at work with my mom (I was maybe 13), a colleague of hers struck up a conversation with me and said she owned cards from the 30s and 40s. She brought them in the next day and my jaw dropped. I saw Goudeys and Play Balls that I vowed to some day own.

Around the age of 16 or 17, I stopped collecting for a number of reasons.

Fast forward more than 20 years and when my wife said that I should "get a hobby", I remembered how much fun I had as a kid, so it was a no brainer

Last edited by sterlingfox; 02-20-2017 at 11:59 AM.