View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
I won the Bill Dickey and the lot of 11 trimmed/cut cards that sold. I am new to the set and thought it was a nice way to jump in and get my feet wet. I was hoping to grab a Lefty O'Doul (think he's insanely underrated for his play and historical contributions to baseball related to the Japan tours etc.) but didn't love how they looked and they went for more than twice what the Dickey sold for.

Was there a reason someone might have wanted to cut the bottom of the cards in this fashion? Was it to fit an album?
Over the years I have seen countless 1933 Goudey cards with their bottom red panel cut off. I believe in many cases it was the original (or sometimes perhaps subsequent) owner that was trying to make it match the latter series cards that did not have this panel. And once they did this the thoroughly OCD amungst them would trim off an equivalent amount on the cards that were issued without the red panel advertising, such as the Schumaker, Sewell and Alexander in the autograph lot shown, so that all the cards would be the same size

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 08-12-2016 at 10:22 PM.