View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM
Al

I think as long as there is an internet, there will be a place for grading companies and authentication companies, despite whatever flaws in the business models that may exist.

It is too easy to use lighting and photoshop to sweeten a scan of a raw card, and it's too easy for an unscrupulous seller to use "I don't have a scanner" as an excuse for taking a weak-looking picture of a card and throwing it on eBay. I think we've probably all fallen victim to buying an ungraded card online that arrived at our door looking different from the scan/photo we saw online.

As long as there's a reputable holder around that card, I can make a reasonable assumption that A) the card is authentic, and B) the condition of the card is going to be reasonably close to the grade it's been assigned.

The lure of having access to an entire universe of cards via the internet is far greater than what, to me, is a small downside when dealing with grading companies, IMO.

I'm a big fan of grading - not because I can't identify an authentic card or grade it myself, but because it makes it easier to buy. I also prefer the uniform way they display, and I'm a klutz, so it helps with protection.

-Al