Thread: The ninth man.
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 10:11 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbegs View Post
The ninth man really shouldn't be Ortiz; he was a whiny, self obsessed PED powered cheater who never played the field.

Derek Jeter seems the far better choice; besides being arguably the greatest shortstop of the modern era, I think he deserves it even more so for being the tenth man (Trout's) favorite player...
Such a very NY attitude.

Jeter was a great player. Maybe over several years the "best" but for a big chunk of his career that was debatable.

Having every great play he made hyped as "the grestest play ever!!!" got really tiresome, especially when most of those plays were great, but not even close to greatest ever.

Seeing Ortiz play more often, I'll say that he usually seemed to play with a lot of joy, something I didn't see often from Jeter, although not seeing him as much I could have missed it.
I can't think of many players who played for a long time who didn't complain about something along the way. And Ortiz was a passable first baseman. That he didn't play there more often is more a function of the team having someone better than him not being good.

Steve B