View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 04:12 PM
JeR@Me

Default Low priced rarities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
Throwing the basic economics of supply and demand out the window, what (if any) are the lowest priced pre war rarities out there?

I was just curious if one could acquire some rarer cards at a reasonable price.

If you want rare and low price, look no further than Type 1 Coupons (T213-1). When one occasionally comes available, they can be had in the $200-$400 range. Of course they are paper thin and super condition sensitive, but that makes them more attractive to me. Try finding one in a Grade 2 or higher. (Good luck with that...) Furthermore, when I say rare, I mean rare. To date there are less than 10 examples of any one type 1 coupon that have been slabbed by PSA,SGC,Beckett combined. (there are several with less than 5 slabbed in the type set) Depending on your definition of rare, I typically stick with 10 or less of any one example. One could throw the slabbed and the raw together and it would take a lifetime to count more than 10 exmples known of any one card. Coupons present tremendous value when you look at price and availability. (Of course there are some double entries with PSA/SGC so the slabbed number may actually be a little lower)

Edited to also add, I don't know of anyone with a complete Type 1 Coupon set. I have been waiting on confirmation of a complete type 1 set out on the west coast, but my source has yet to confirm it with his own eyes. Verbally of course - I spent 12 years trying to put one together and got to the high 50 count, but couldn't get those last few dozen. Gave up the ghost. A lot of fun trying though... Still would love to see an entire Type 1 set with my own eyes.

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 04-28-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added info...