View Single Post
Old 07-24-2002, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Default Reponse to question below (item #1845951779)

Posted By: Henry Yee

Scott / Tom :

Best way to reach me is through email as I carry a Palm but I don't get time to do chat boards often because of my business and travel schedule. If you would like to speak directly to me, send me an email and I would be more than happy to provide you with a number that I could be reach at for that day.

I will do my best to address as much as possible, as a request from one of my customers that have brought to my attention in regards to items mentioned on this board, so bear with me. I've been swamped in my "other" profession begging for VC money among investors and my partner who runs my ebay business these days have been taking more consignments than I can handle at this moment and buying up a storm (anyone out there loves cards and needs a job or just know how to work a scan bed) ?

In Regards to the W514:

These were "strip cards" and were intended to be cut from sheets or strips decades ago. This is one of the better cut W514's I have handled. From experience, these are graded like vintage paper money (yea, those slabbed coin idiots ruined that hobby too). The more borders around the central image, the more desirable. While the Lemke guide does a proficient job in the description in regards to sizes, it is just that, "a guide" as some cards were larger than others, even when in uncut format. So theoretically, you could have a strip card with black borders all around that will be short when compared to guide standards and vice versa (where you could have a strip card that has been cut past border limits and be larger than guide standards).

As for this and ALL cards I sell, they are gradable by third party, guarantee. As far as I know, PSA don’t grade these, they wouldn’t have a clue as to what it is. I haven’t spoke to Steve or Mike Baker since they launched Global when they were in New York City so I don’t know what their firm’s stance is. However, SGC will grade these and in working with Derek Grady, and other W-type collectors in the past, we agree that "borders" should carry more weight than corners, since corners can technically be "sharpen" with the cut. Overall eye appeal is the key factor. (As for the slab grade, that depends on what Derek had for lunch - just kidding DG, I’ll see you in Chicago for a beer). Some collectors stay away from strip cards because 90% of cards are missing black borders while others see it as the last alternative to a once affordable hobby. Different strokes for different folks.

In Regards to the Ruth Mini-Bat:

The item is indeed NOT vintage and has been pulled. I am Man enough to admit that if something has been overlooked, I will rectify the situation swiftly. My partner and I handle thousands of items and try to put up 300-400 lots every time. Things do get overlooked from time to time when you handle volume. However, I will not hesitate to make any revisions or pull items if someone who is more knowledgeable than myself on that particular subject contacts me. If items are purchased from me and the buyer is not satisfied, I offer a No B.S., NO song and dance, NO questions asked 100% money back guarantee. (In over 10,000 lots I have sold on and off ebay over the last four years, I have had about 10 returns (or 1 out of every 1000) and in EVERY scenario, everyone had a US Postal Money Order in hand within seven days of my receipt of the return merchandise. In three of those rare cases, I have ate the commission I paid out.

Scott:

Yes, if you (like anyone) buy anything and are not all but 200% totally satisfied, send it back and I'll send you a refund including your shipping cost so I can put that smile back on your face. If I had learn anything in business school (aside from perfecting my BEER-athlon techniques) and the three business' that I own, is that "Customer Satisfaction is measured by Repeat Business, and nothing else." A simple concept but yet so true. If you don't come back and do business with me then I have failed you. (My feedback record will however indicate that I have had (2) negatives from two idiots. Neither sent me a single nickel for those items).

Show me ANYONE that has brought from my family whether 5 days ago or 5 years ago or 5 decades ago, who felt cheated or where I have failed to deliver, either on product, or on service, or where I have failed to treat them in a professional manner and I'll personally resolve the matter. Have them email me and I’ll provide them with my 24-hour personally cell number and they can call me collect. I stand by everything I sell, whether it be 10 cents, $10 or $10,000. If it’s wrong, I’ll make it right.

Tom:

Bashing or no bashing, I take the good with the bad and am open to constructive criticism from anyone. I am a straight shooting and what you see is what you get. Any dealer or auction house that puts up volume will get folks that will pick words apart for each statement made but that's fine because I expect it. No company is perfect and I’m still learning.

This is my First time glancing this board (I probably didn’t even log-in properly). I notice quite a few names from my client list and others that have brought cards-memorabilia from me off-line in the past. Does John Spencer still run this board ? and if not, is he still around ? I've dealt with him several times and so have several of my clients and he was one of the more upstanding guys in this hobby.

Happy Collecting to all !

Best Regards
Henry Yee
hyee@mindspring.com