View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Default My T206 Plank theory....and, what's your guess ?

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Well I attempted to work on some of the A's, seeing who was in which sets...

Baker, Barry, Bender, E Collins, H Davis, Sunny Jim Dygert ('cause I liked him and he was the 3rd T206 I ever got), Krause, Lord (he was team captain and a famous player of the day), Mack, Oldring, and Plank.

It is about like the E vs T analysis I did before. Bender, the Indian, is in everything. I just figure he signed or agreed to anything if it involved him getting money. Only these guys are series 150 T206: Bender, H Davis, Oldring and Plank.

E90-1 has most of these guys, same for E95/6. E106 from 1915 has most of the ones still playing. E107 from 1903/4 was before some of these guys were in the majors, it has Bender, H Davis, and Plank. (Gotta love E107 predating E106 by about 11 years.)

All of those guys are in T206 except for Mack. Realistically most of the "managers" in T206 are really in there because of the players they were, not for managing. Mack is in E95/6 as a true manager. I was tickled when I got that card...

All of the guys who were playing were in T208, a non Tobacco Trust issue. And Bender, Collins, H Davis, Lord and Plank are in T204, another non Trust issue.

So that exercise didn't yield much of anything new, but does reaffirm in my mind that Ted really has something... Plank signed with BW (the predecessor to American Caramel), before ATT had T206s out. T206 must have presumed they'd get Plank to sign. The college guy either honored his American Caramel deal, or asked for piles of money that ATT didn't want to pay, so ATT pulled his card.

Otherwise, it was one odd mysterious break in a printing plate to lose just that one card of Plank, and what amazing quality control to keep all of the cracked Planks out of circulation.... nope, can't believe it.

Frank.