View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Default autograph restoration question

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

There is a great difference between photo or art restoration and autograph "restoration".

Obviously, "restoration" is commonly accepted in many fields, but this acceptance will always be the exact opposite in all matters dealing with handwriting and signatures. If some collectors choose to restore broken edges of a signed photograph, I personally see nothing wrong with that. As to "cleaning around a signature", think of the added price a piece of furniture exhibiting original patina brings on the open market. Outside of occasionally breaking up multi-signed pieces, I leave all my material the way I found it. I do know a few historical manuscript dealers who employ a non-invasive form of cursory surface cleaning. Said restorative work should of course be described if the piece is to be offered for sale at a later time. To me, the auction market will dictate if the value of such an item is heightened by such work.

As far as doing anything to touch up the actual autograph, my "No way" still stands! happy.gif