View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 12:16 PM

Default Used to seeing a Smiley Face

Joe,
No problem, just used to seeing somesort of smiley face with sarcasm. Yes, there is no doubt that any rare cards that come up like this could turn out to be nonauthentic. I'm pretty confident on this one though just based on the characteristics of this one as compared to other E98s with the Old PUt Stamp that have been known for years and a provenance that has been established for each. I'm pretty sure that the everyone who has studied these Overprints (Old PUTS that is) agrees that these were put on with somesort of a stamp. If these OLD PUTS were put on during the printing process in a sheet, they would all be uniform in where they were stamped on the back of each card. If you look at the approximately 25 known E98s with Old Put stamps, they are pretty much all over the place in their locations on the backs. Some are straight, slanted, opposite directions etc.

As I stated before, I have taken a gamble with this one. I hope to take it to the National and hopefully SGC or others from the board can give me their take on it after they have held it in person. I am more sure of its authenticity after having it in my hands.
Take Care,
Tim