View Single Post
Old 09-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree and check your emails .

There have been many threads concerning/discussing outing auctions. Personally I don't like them to be outed when open or even right after they close.
It has been debated and hashed out over and over but there can be no hard rule against it. It is still open for debate but it's been debated so much I can't imagine something changing. Also, in defense of one of my all time favorite board members (hi Fred) who started this thread he did think the auction was over. I have been totally hosed before because of someone outing an open auction on ebay, in the wrong category, which I was following. So be it.
I cringe sometimes when I see them discussed when still ongoing. I can see the other side too but still......and outing your own auction in the wrong place on this forum, when found out about, will get you the boot or at least slapped around a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
With all due respect, one of the first topics ever discussed on this board when I first discovered this site in Feb 2000 (over 18 years ago) was "outing" current auctions. It was discussed and overwhelmingly decided it was in poor taste at that time, has been discussed many times here with the same conclusion since, and will always be considered proper etiquette to wait until something is over. Waiting to discuss pricing or whether something was a good deal has been the unwritten rule of this site and people have been called out for it hundred of times. The exception of course being to discuss as to whether an item is a reprint to save a member from a bad experience.

Had this been an item I had been looking for personally (which this was not) that had been outed by someone unfamiliar with the etiquette of this forum, I would be really pissed off right now. Consignors plugging their own item is a completely different story.

This forum has changed in many ways but the basic fun of it has remained. If an indifference now exists to whether current auctions can be outed and that practice is accepted, it is a step in the wrong direction for the fun of the community.

Again, not something I was bidding on, but the outing of it here before it ended should be looked at as in extremely poor taste by everyone and if not, I believe that is a problem.

Last edited by Leon; 09-28-2018 at 03:35 PM.