View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default brother trade

okay, here's my 'feel-good' family autograph story:

I took my brother to a Reds-Astros game in '73 when he was 7. We each had balls for signing after the game and needless to say, it was tough for him as a first-time autograph hound, to get many signatures. Still, he managed to get a few big names, including Pete Rose. I got more autographs, but missed Rose and was quite disappointed.

Years later, my brother attended Nolan Ryan's induction ceremony in Cooperstown, and Rose was outside signing pictures - my brother got a signed photo and mailed it to me.

I was talking with him on the phone the other day and he told me that his signed Cincinnati Reds ball from '73 had been stolen many years ago and he would love to find another '73 Reds ball in an auction. Mine only has meaning in that it was something we did together, so it's going in the mail today. Over the years, all the signatures on one of the pieces of leather have faded away, including Bench, Tom Hall and Sparky (on the sweet spot). These three, and George Foster and a few others on the other side, survived. Bye ball!

Last edited by Runscott; 12-29-2013 at 06:14 PM.