View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Peter F

Default An Good Autograph Story

I don't actively collect autographs but can appreciate this positive thread about them and thought I'd add a story.

When I was turning 15 back in 1980 I started to get letters in the mail from HOFers. It seemed, my mom found an address list in my SCD and wrote about 20 HOFers a personal handwritten letter telling them it was her sons b-day and that "he would really get a kickout of receiving your autograph".

Some guys signed their HOF postcard, some index cards but regardless, it was so much fun to come home from school, run to the mailbox and get an envelope with the return address from Bob Lemon or Hank Greenberg et al. From memory I also got Koufax,Paige, Wm Terrry (my favorite. beautiful signature), Jocko Conlan, Wynn, Spahn, Freddie Lindstrom and I know there are more.

Couple of my favorites were Rube Marquard who was kind enough to include and sign a t206. I remember writing him a note thanking him and then being really saddened when he died about a month after. He mailed my auto on 4/17 and passed away June 1. I always felt good about writing him a thank you note when I got his note.

Lastly - Joe Sewell included my mom's original note with his autograph and on the bottom of her note he wrote, "thanks for remembering me." Pretty touching in retrospect all these years later right?

I think most of my autographs would be considered somewhat common to me and what they represent from my childhood, they're priceless. Still have each in mom's original envelopes.

Think I'll bring them over to her place tonight to reminisce a little.

Good thread. thanks Richard