View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 05:25 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Aloha to all! This thread is the first time I have ever heard that the card consigned to D. Gallery might not have been authentic. I was not present at the auction and I don't ever remember any controversy over authenticity.
One of the younger members of the auction house family had gone to high school with a fellow I worked with and we saw a newspaper article about the upcomming auction of Ed Budnicks collection (mostly books and programs and only a few cards). I always thought that Ed owned the other wagner..the one on the cover of the catalog, but I am not sure of that. I never saw it in person.
Unless memory fails me Ed had owned a dry cleaning business that my cousin worked for and my dad kept the books for. This was a time before the internet and before wide use of mobile phones and before third party grading. I had never consigned anything to an auction house before. D galleries is a high class operation with a long history of excellence so being in Detroit they seemed like a logical choice (though I really didn't consider any other).
Some time after the auction D. called and said it was sold for 14 thousand.
I went down to the gallery. Young Mr. D. and I went to the bank next door to the gallery (with security) and I walk out with the cash. I was told the card was sold to an english card collector. Mahalo for your interest.

I wonder where that card is now? Dave P.