View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Scott Levy

Basic facts were not omitted intentionally, but rather to simplify a complex situation. Nonetheless here they are:

1. At some point years ago my dad purchased a slabbed SGC card labeled as a brown old mill. I vaguely remember my dad telling me about it but I certainly don't remember how, from who or at what price he purchased it.

2. The card was held for several years and recently my dad wanted to sell it.

3. We know quite a bit about T206s and understand that the 'typical' brown backed old mills are both trimmed and very light in color -- which this card admittedly does not have.

4. When this card was consigned to Bill Goodwin for his auction - My dad made sure to mention these particular issues AND ALSO mentioned that when he compared it side by side against other typical old mill cards with a loupe --- all the others were black while this one was brown. My dad asked Mr. Goodwin to consider listing the card on this basis. Bill then inspected the card, agreed with my dad's assessment and listed it in his auction.

5. Questions were (not surprisingly) raised about the card being auctioned and SGC requested to review the card.

6. SGC decided that the card should not have been labeled as a brown old mill.....a claim that my dad disagrees with --- but given that it was submitted to SGC, I suppose that is their call.

7. SGC asked for what the purchase price of the card was and when it was bought. Here's where the fireworks started. My dad did not have any records of the purchase price or even when or from whom it was bought. Dealer's might think that's foolish --- but we collect primarily for fun. I know that I've personally almost never kept a record of any card that I've bought --- simply because it doesn't matter to me.

8. SGC and my dad discussed compensation and couldn't agree to a number. Both parties were at an impasse. And the matter just kind of hung there for about two months.

Those are the facts from as unbiased a standpoint as I am capable of presenting them. Up until that point I saw no fault with how either SGC or my dad conducted themselves.....

THEN - SGC started to personally attack the character of my dad, with snide and childish / antagonistic remarks. I'm sure that my dad is just as frustrated with not having the situation resolved as SGC is ... but he didn't assault SGC's character, because up until that point it was just a business issue. That is the point that I have issue with.

SGC has the right to feel differently about how the situation should be resolved - but their insults are out of line.