View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 08:08 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
I am always amazed (amused? perplexed?) at the extreme negative response that a new flip can elicit. As long as it's not entirely distracting and it serves its purpose (ie. it relays the necessary information), isn't that good enough? Typically when I look at a graded card I will just glance at the flip and then spend the rest of my time looking at the actual card.

I can understand not wanting a change for uniformity with existing cards in the collection, but to classify some simple, gold colored text laid out against a white background as "ugly" or "horrible" seems a bit overdramatic.

To each their own, I guess.

ch.uck wo.lf
Hey Chuck, I have no concerns over the pristine holder, none of my cards would be graded as such. It all boils down to uniformity with the other SGC graded cards. I have nearly 100 Detroit OJs, all in SGC holders with green label. I have a couple upgrades ready to be sent in that will now stick out. When displaying the collection a good looking slab with a uniform look will help put the emphasis on the cards as it should be. I'm very stubborn on uniformity in all my hobbies, be it cards, coins, etc. I recognize it as a fault. This label change will result in some of us being less loyal to SGC. I'd be satisfied if they simply retained the green border. Maybe I'll be less opposed with time.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers