View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Sc0tt A1paugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Recently I have had more 50's & 60's commons sell. I think the higher price/visibility of the "ones everyone wants" has pulled some more casual collectors in the fold and they are purchasing what they can afford and WANT to collect.

Not everyone can put together a '52T Master Set but a midgrade '53T set is very doable.
This is exactly the point that I was trying to make. There are plenty of alternatives for those that can't or won't play in the "game." It wasn't about anything other than pointing out that the hobby is strong and there are so many areas that collectors can participate in that don't cost an arm and a leg and where the prices aren't doubling from week to week.

It is easy to complain or find issues in the hobby. It is easy to be jealous or jaded. It is easy to feel or voice contempt. It is much harder to put the garbage aside and find time to really enjoy collecting . . . whatever it is that you collect.

I had a hobby friend that had a most amazing collection . . . one that dwarfed most others. Whenever we had hobby discussions, he focused and directed his complete attention and excitement to the collections and discussions of all the others in the group. It was genuine and whether someone collected some obscure prewar issue or was working on a Chipper Jones POG collection, he was fascinated and beamed his infectious smile, demonstrating that we ALL have the same "collector gene" in our DNA. I am pretty sure that he found much enjoyment by sharing in our enjoyment. I miss that. I miss him.

Blog: www.justcollect.com/blog
email: scotta@justcollect.com