View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 04:14 PM

Default The All Time Best Baseball Players In a BRAWL team

Kinda fun stuff , wrote a piece about this awhile back , I wonder if the names have changed ....I got alot of feedback from ex ball players who got a kick out of picking the team. Might be fun to build a collection around it. These are the guys you'd want on your team if a bench clearing Brawl broke out. (smile). here are the names I got
1st base) GIL HODGES (I said Hodges was good natured and never got in a fight, was told the other players were "scared" of him knew he was unusually strong had hands like a catchers mit , and was told picking a fight with Hodges would be like picking a fight with a WALL)
2nd Base) BILLY MARTIN (nuff said)
Shortstop) JOHNNY LOGAN (I spoke to Logan on the phone once and he scared the heck out of me and he was over 60 years old)
3rd Base) EDDIE MATHEWS not only did he kick the crap out of Frank Robinson and Don Drysdale he had martial arts training and was afraid of nothing.
Catcher) STAN LOPATA met him once and shook his hand and wondered why he needed a catchers mitt.
Pitchers) EARLY WYNN & DON DRYSDALE & JUAN MARICHAL Big and mean masters of the brush back pitch and pitchers always START the fights they are never in them. and these two started plenty
Outfield) DEL ENNIS, MOOSE MORYN & PETE WHISENANT (Pete was a personal friend and in Port Charlotte Florida they still talk about the day in the 1950's that 6 roughnecks picked a fight with him and Pete knocked out all six and left without a scratch)
Manager) Ty Cobb