View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Ed Woelfle

Default Does 100% bid activity w/one seller mean shilling?

I've seen a number of threads talk about shilling and reasons to believe so. I know one possible "give-away" on eBay is unusually high bid activity with one seller. My question is, could there be another explanation for that..? Or does that alone raise more than just a suspicion flag..?

I was looking at some common T206's last week and noticed one seller had some pretty aggressive bids well before auction-end. Clicking on a few of his cards to see the bid activity, I noticed many had the same bidder bidding up aggressively and/or trumping other bids. This one had a fairly low feedback number - I clicked on his bid activity w/that seller and it was 100%! I looked closer to see if I could line-up that bidder feedback number with recent feedback left for, or by this seller. I did find it, seemed that the feedback was especially glowing for this person (perhaps no doubt if he's over-paying :-)

With suspicions up, I let it go and didn't bid or up my snipes on anything else. Now, this morning, I noticed same - same seller, several cards up for sale, high bids in already and by that same bidder - still at 100% w/this seller.

I don't want to make unfounded accusations of anyone, but can't figure this one out. Would hate to point a finger and find out I'm wrong or there's an easy explanation? Could there be another explanation..? Is it logical that one buyer is so enamored with this seller that he only bids/buys from him and at top-end market prices?