View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I hesitate to call it value Bilko. A vintage autograph has a certain value determined by supply and demand.
A vintage autograph on one of these "things" has a price on it based on speculation and the hope of the current owner that the greater fool theory will hold for a few more days/weeks/months until he decides to sell it. Though he may not be aware of Tulip Mania he is also, probably subconsciously, hoping that the world does not sober up in time so that he is the last one left holding the bag with that "thing" in it.
And obviously though it is a matter of taste collectors, not speculators, usually prefer making their own display for a vintage autograph.
For thirty bucks if you like the way that Lyons looks that is great. But when you get into high dollar amounts I really don't believe that people are spending that kind of money for anything other than speculation.
I have said it before and I'll say it again. What Travis is arguing about the companies presenting something and your argument about tuilp mania are arguments against collecting autos and cards IN GENERAL. None of the things discussed on these boards have any intrinsic value. It is all supply and demand, and the demand is there for autos presented by a retailer. Hence, they are supplying it. When and if the buyers of those realize that there are no "greater fools" to flp to, they may than realize and believe that any scribbles on a paper are worthless in general. And when they do, the proverbial dominoes may fall, all of our scribbles may become worthless.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all