View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

It's not the most valuable, or the most prized autograph in my collection. But it's importance is that it symbolizes why I collect vintage baseball autographs. It has to do with hearing about the death of the signer, Johnny Gorsica.

It was upon hearing of his passing that I realized that everyday more and more of vintage baseball's living links were being lost forever. And it was that realization that ignited a passion in me to begin collecting something personal, something tangible to these vanishing connections to baseball's past. Soon after the death of Johnny Gorsica, I started my collecting of vintage Detroit Tigers autographs.

It's easy to get caught up in the ugliness in this hobby. There is much of it. Strong words spoken for and against. Tempers flare. Feelings are hurt. And some leave the hobby. But sometimes, I remember that what started my passion wasn't a goal to fill every spot, or to be able to stand up and be recognized because I accomplished a feat of numbers; but remember that it was the vintage ballplayers, the stories they created, and the moment when he signed his name for business or kindness sake, and the loss of those individuals that I collect autographs. Sometimes it's easy to forget the human behind the signature, and turn that autograph purely into an object for commerce, or for sport. I'm as guilty as anyone. But sometimes I do remember . . .

+1 Nice Post.