View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post

So if you were a show promoter today, what kind of advertising would you do to make a newer show such as Oaks successful?

dj
Get the email address of every person that walks into every show you do. Get the email address of every person that buys an autograph from you, whether in person, by mail, by phone, by internet. Send several emails prior to every show you do to the entire list. How much would that cost? Then, whatever actual cash you spend, put every dollar into online promotion, including everything like Net54 you can find. Newspapers and billboards, are you kidding me? I would have laughed at that ten years ago. I harangued Marco for years to do the email thing, but finally gave up. I don't think he's ever done it to this day. Now, he does get a good crowd to Chantilly, and to the Edison show, so he's doing something right there. But 90+% of the crowds at those shows are there strictly for the signing guests, so the vintage dealers are always depending on the few actual collectors who do manage to become aware of the show (probably from word of mouth or just knowing about when the shows are held usually.) Marco's a buddy, and I love doing his shows, but us dealers for years have been mere window dressing to the real action going on behind the scenes, and at some point he's going to lose the window dressing and it will be a big autograph event only. Maybe enough shiny stuff and autograph supplies guys will survive to provide the appearance of a "card and memorabilia show," but it will not be a show in the old sense any more.
As for the mystery of how the dealers who price their stuff beyond all reasoning manage to survive, I can't imagine. I do know that to cover expenses, pay for inventory, and end up with something for my time and effort, I need to actually SELL STUFF, so I try to price accordingly. That's half the game of being a dealer, knowing what the market will bear. How can these guys keep doing shows? How do they last charging 2 or 3X what any idiot can see from the net is the going price? I don't get it, but I'm guessing they won't be around much longer. Unfortunately, they and the other forces perhaps beyond our control will take the shows with them. But, hey, let's enjoy them while we can!