View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 07:38 AM

Default Oaks on Saturday

I went to the Oaks show on Saturday and it certainly was not busy. I had the pleasure to meet John (WonkaTicket) and enjoyed discussing some other sets that are outside my usual collection - it was very educational for me and I appreciated his time (Dan - unfortunately I did not have the chance to meet you, you were away from the table when I was there).

In my opinion, the reason people do not go to shows anymore is that they have become museums! Personally, I have no problem spending a reasonable premium on cards at shows over buying on the internet - I can see the card in person, I dont have to spend on shipping, I get to interact with people in the hobby - all benefits that make it worth spending a slight premium to me. I understand the dealers have table fees, transportation, etc. as well.

However, the prices I was quoted on cards were out of this world. I have no problem with a dealer starting a little high and negotiating, but when the starting prices are insane - there is no reason for me to counter with an "insulting" offer.

I inquired about a card that recently sold in the Sterling Auction (Thursday night) and the card at the show and in the auction were both SGC 40 (I know some are not fond of grading and all SGC40s are not the same, but this gives a point of reference).

The price quoted at the show was twice what the card sold for as recently as 2 nights prior (with buyers premium). When I mentioned the auction of the card, the dealer just blew me off. Again, I would have been willing to pay more in person, but the initial price was so high - how do you start a negotiation???

So, in my opinion, vintage card collecting is strong in the PA area; however, shows are dying down because, the show prices are just not realistic. Why drive to a show and pay an entrance fee to have the opportunity to see cards at drastically elevated prices - when I can sit at home and peruse ebay, net54, etc and find a card at a reasonable price?

If the answer is its a great time to meet others in the hobby, well I agree with that, but thats what the shows are becoming - an opportunity to meet others in the hobby and learn, but not to buy items.

Again - that is just my opinion and experience from this weekend's show.

Andy