View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Jim M.arinari

First the facts (then the story):

This matchbook cover has been in my family since the signature was obtained by my Great Uncle in 1945. It was signed by Double X while inside a bar outside of Shibe Park. It was then given to my Uncle, who put it in a scrapbook until 1985, when it was given to me.

Now, the family story:

I was told when it was given to me (and my dad has corroborated), that my Grandfather always said that his brother encountered Jimmie Foxx in the bar drinking beer BETWEEN GAMES of a double header and that Foxx subsequently hit a homerun in the second game. Both my Uncle and Dad said this behaviour, while not condoned, was not uncommon "Back in the day". IF this account is true, through the magic of the interwebs, I was able to pinpoint when this would have occurred.
(Edit: I got clarification to the story. Signature was obtained by my Great Uncle (not grandfather) after the game. He said the bar was on 22nd or 23rd and Lehigh, and he is trying to remember the name. But he was sure of the year and the HR in the 2nd game of the DH.)

Still cool to be able to pinpoint the day, just not as salacious.

Wed. June 6, 1945

First game

Phillies lost to the Boston Braves 15-1
Foxx went 2-4 with a strikeout

Second game

Phillies lost 7-3
Foxx went 2-4 with a HR and a walk, 1 RBI
This would have been his 530th career HR and 1900th RBI
This was the only Homerun that he hit during the 2nd game of a doubleheader at home in 1945.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foxx F122.jpg (78.3 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg Foxx B123.jpg (78.8 KB, 378 views)

Last edited by Deertick; 11-01-2012 at 05:49 PM.