View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Dave

A long time friend of mine, Ralph, who grew up near the Smokey Mountains in North Carolina acquired many 1952 T Hi#'s in late 1952 and early 1953.There was a
Ben Franklin 5 & 10 cent store in his neighborhood that was stocked with many of the Hi#'s. Interesetingly, they didn't have Lo#'s (#1-80) till the Summer of '52.
And, these cards were the 1st series Red Backs.

I grew up in Hillside, NJ and the 1st series BLack Backs were available in the Spring of '52. Hi#'s were plentiful from the corner "drug store/soda fountain" shoppe
were we lived. Here are the 5 cards from the last pack I bought when I was a kid in the Fall of '52.

TED Z
Ted, nicely done! If there is one regret I have as a collector of Topps 52s, it's that I'm getting into it now, and never had the chance to buy them in the wax pack on their original run. That's a special thing!

You know, with a bit of oral history legwork, talking to baby boomers who collected 52s, I bet we could get a pretty fair idea of where and when the 52 highs were distributed. It's funny, but those details really stick with people. My dad can still clearly remember the names of the stores he went to to buy cards...