View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
How often have you put the current Piedmont Plank under magnification or held it in your hand? All of the drivel in the world isn't holding the value back either.....and it shouldn't. I trust SGC got that card right.
The same number of times that you have.

I'm sure you meant to type 'dissenting opinion', but accidentally typed 'drivel'

As far as 'dissenting opinion' not holding back value, the first grading company was created precisely to 'create value'. Since then, 'creating value' has continued to be a feature of such companies. The SGC Plank aside, if two people owned the Wagner in question, each sent it to be graded, and one grading company gave it the grade that you just said you think it should have gotten, and the other gave it the grade that it is currently slabbed with, which one is 'worth' more? ...value has obviously been created.

Same goes for an 'authentic' Plank, vs the SGC-graded Plank - if it is in fact a hand-cut card that simply has 100 years of age added via normal wear, value has been created by that slab, regardless of whether or not we think they got it right.

I think this is just good-natured discussion. I still agree that if they were going to slab the Plank, based on their criteria for assigning grades, they had to give it a number.