View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Matt Goebel

Default List

Phil,

Kudos to you for the concept and execution of your list - I can tell it took much effort and was well thought out. The inclusion of guys like Heavy Johnson, Clint Thomas and Sam Bankhead also reveal a depth of knowledge into Negro League history. Any list like this is always subjective and fueled by personal preference, so there really is no right or wrong and everyone's list is going to be a little different. This is not meant to be a criticism, but here are a few thoughts that I would take into account in coming up with my own list:

-I would have more 1909 Cabanas, this is the first Cuban set and it is a beauty. I would consider guys like Luis Padron, Luis Bustamante, Chino Moran and Agustin Parpetti.
-There are several other US Negro Leaguers from the 1920's sets that I would include before going to the Felices/Toleteros era, guys like Dave Brown, Edgar Wesley, Frank Duncan, Frank Warfield, Jesse Hubbard, Valentin Dreke, etc.
-There are a couple Toleteros that rank high for me personally, including the 1948-49 Bus Clarkson photographic card, the 1949-50 Perucho Cepeda variation, and anything with Canena Marquez.

Overall a terrific effort though, and I hope it leads to more discussion!