View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 06:56 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I agree, all it'll take is another top-notch American Heavyweight to revive the sport in terms of collectability.

I may be the only one who collects Wrestling(old real stuff) and Boxing together as fighting sports though...Perhaps my amateur wrestling background may be causing me to overrate the sport though, but then again as it currently sits(aside from the Olympics), MMA seems the next evolutionary step of that sport, in terms of professionalism. I'll concede that there will probably never be another sustainable "professional wrestling".

Boxing and MMA could possibly be capable of coexisting equally(long term) in regards to professional "fighting sports". I wouldn't discount it, but the popularity of MMA among youngsters nowadays, may lead to a lack of interest in boxing(as far as fighters) in the near future. At the same time, I see a rise in the interest in amateur wrestling among the youth because of the MMA. Currently, in the MMA, the boxing types seem to be the guys that couldn't make it boxing. Is there a chance that these roles could eventually reverse themselves to the point where the boxers become the ones who couldn't cut it in the MMA? Or have we already reached that point as Americans?