View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Jay Shelton

Our local (and only) card dealer in the Plano area is very much up on all the new stuff. He has a lot of "older" card singles for sale in stock (going back to 1979 ), but his bread-and-butter is the new stuff. The Topps regular series packs are $1.79, and the Heritage are $2.99/pack. Other more premium issues are higher. It dismays me to see packs as high as $35, $50, and even $100+ for the "premium" stuff.

Having said that, the Topps Heritage (and formerly Bowman Heritage) are pretty nice issues, already echoed on this post by others about simulating the older card look and feel. It is kind of a nice way for the "older" collector to buy a pack or two of cards and feel like he felt as a kid opening up a wax pack of cards.

I plan on trying to complete the Topps Update Series that will come out in August of this year. I have not ever done this with modern cards, but being a Padres fan, it will allow me to pick up cards of their new uniforms. I also did enjoy Topps promotion last year in the Update Series (I bought about 100+ cards) in which special codes could be redeemed online for vintage cards, and you built a "collection" of virtual cards that you could offer as trade bait for vintage cards you wanted. I was able to pick up 13-14 cards from Topps over 40 years old and had them mail them to me.