View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
I collected Eric Anthony rookie cards when they first came out, speculating he was going to be the next superstar. Lucky I didn't pay much for them.

but tracking him down his rookie year and asking him to sign a willie mays, hank aaron or ernie banks signed baseball would be ridiculous.

Eric Anthony didn't even have 25% of the hype that Bryce Harper has.

A better comparison would be all the people back in the day getting Todd Van Poppel to sign an item that Nolan Ryan had already signed since Van Poppel was the next Nolan Ryan. Especially after Beckett put (and hyped) Van Poppel and Ryan together on the cover of their first ever issue of "Beckett focus on future stars"

But i do think it is something very foolish to do, but there IS a market for it. Just look at numerous new cards that come out these days were a dual autographed card will pair a rookie "future star" and a hofer together and it sells for big bucks.

I remember when Sidney Crosby was an NHL rookie and people were getting items dual signed by him and Mario Lemieux or back when Lebron James first entered the league and their were items dual signed of him and Michael Jordan. Sometimes it may end up working out, more times the item will look foolish a few years after it was signed, but there is STILL a market for items like this whenever "The next future superstar" starts to play. A ton of people like to buy based on hype.