View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 09:24 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
What I don't get is even if the Mantle was legit, why have Harper sign it? They don't have anything in common at all. it would cut down the value. like adding a hank aaron or barry bonds to a ruth ball. no one is doing it anymore once they saw single signed ruth ball going way up with the aaron (or bonds) not adding anything to the value and making it worth less.

I like the way one commenter says it's no big deal because harper is a certain hall of famer barring injury. Oh if I had a nickel! Ken G. on the home shopping network pumping up some of these #1 draft picks rookie cards saying they are the next Nolan Ryan or Reggie Jackson so buy now.
I could understand the argument that "barring injury", Bryce Harper WAS a certain Hall of Famer. The only problem is, that he's not a catcher anymore. Speculatively speaking, the type of offensive production he should have would've been spectacular for a catcher, however, in the OF it's just not as impressive. I understand the Nationals wanting to protect their investment, but this simple move reduced the value of their investment.

Coincidentally, I view Joe Mauer the same way. If he ends up moving to the OF or DH, he suddenly becomes overpaid/overrated. As a big Victor Martinez fan, I always felt the same about him too, especially since he's rarely behind the plate anymore. These guys are still great, BUT not as great if they're not behind the plate..