View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Default m116 "blues", puzzle-piece cards, proofs, handcut panels and other oddities

Saw the "Show something else..." thread and wanted to show off something not commonly seen and something even I haven't seen for a few years. As in....I almost forgot I even had any m116s in my collection at all as I've been focused on caramel cards for so many years! Fortunately, when I went to go retrieve these, they were all still where I last saw them a few years back.

But anyway, you don't see a lot of oddities coming out of the m116 set so I wanted to show off a few of mine.

Despite the fact that these cards haven't really been a part of my "collecting focus" for a long time, m116 Blues are absolutely GORGEOUS cards that are undervalued based on their eye appeal alone. In all, I have a large group of 28 blue backs total. Out of this group, 18 of them have the "LARGER, BRIGHTER AND BETTER THAN EVER!" 5 cent backs. Those players are as follows:

Brown, Bresnahan, Collins, Doyle, Davis, Crawford, Bender, Thomas, Jennings, McQuillan, Dooin, Tenney, Jones, Leach, Jordan, Donovan, Jones, Brown

I don't believe m116 blues come with any other back besides this one but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I also have one "proof" (at least, this is what the card is labeled as in it's GAI AUTHENTIC holder), the Gibson pictured below. It has a smooth, white blank back, is lacking a caption and appears to be a slightly thinner paper stock than the normal cards.

The next six cards are pretty unique. They are part of an advertising piece printed on thick cardboard. They all fit together at one point but were cut apart crudely. If I line them up, they fit together like a puzzle still. The material these pieces are made of are at least 3 times as thick as normal m116s. The blacks are brownish/greyish, blank and give off the impression that they were once a part of a thick cardboard box or advertising poster, or at least a larger strip such as the panel w/ Chance in it. It's heavy like the "puzzle" cards with the crude looking back. These appear to be just like the cards that were hacked up, only still intact as a small 3-card panel.

Anyways, haven't participated in an m116 thread discussion for a while so please feel free to comment, show off your own m116 oddities, etc..etc.. I'm always curious as to what else is out there!

m116bluegroup-001.jpg

m116proof-001.jpg

m116ads.jpg

m116adsback.jpg

panelchance.jpg