View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It is all about money, folks. The people who own the National want a venue with cheap fees and willingness to make a long-term commitment at rock bottom prices. You are never going to see a first-rate venue in a first-rate city host the show because the powers that be fear that they could not line their pockets sufficiently if they upgraded the experience. Nevermind the contrary evidence of Comicon in San Diego.

The National organizers love Cleveland because it is dirt-cheap and desperate for business. I do not think that the event will shift away from the IX [pronounced "Ick"] Center because it is too cheap and profitable to hold it elsewhere.

Anaheim won't sign a contract years in the future at rock bottom prices. That puts the kibosh on Anaheim.

There is a sizable east and midwest dealer faction that pisses and moans about traveling west of the Rockies because they drive to and from the show. That effectively kills LA, SF, Vegas and other points west.

New York has been rejected because of the cost of doing business there--union fees for vendors at the convention center. You cannot just carry in your stuff and set up; you have to use [and pay] the convention center's contract labor to do it.

The other theory on Vegas is that it would distract collectors from the show, i.e., cause them to spend money on something other than cards. Unrealistic; you stand a better chance of getting out of Iran alive on an El Al 747 than you do of getting a National conventiongoer to spend money on something other than cards, alcohol or cheap eats.

While personally I don't mind a show that pulls in 1/4 of the visitors that a Comicon does--less competition--it would be nice to have a kick-ass show experience with all the multimedia and other events available in addtion to the bourse itself. That said, I spend my time at the show, not on the town, so I judge the experience solely from the show and the hotels and related facilities. Baltimore wasn't bad. The facility was decent, the hotels were close by, and it went quite well. The only complaint I had was travel issues, but I went to NYC first--able to fly direct from Burbank to JFK--then took the train down to Baltimore, which was quite a pleasant way to do it. I plan to do that again this year. Cleveland is a PITA for me. There's only 1 direct carrier--Continental--but my main complaint about that place is the shabby accommodations and facilities, and atrocious food. Just not a pleasant experience. CHI is OK; I can get a good variety of flights and the hotels and restaurants around the venue are decent. The convention facility itself is middling quality; has that weird break in the floor where they put the Olympics peiple the last time. IMO the best facility/hotel/destination show I've been to was Anaheim in 2006. That was really first rate all around.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...