View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Rick went from being someone that just "owns a pawn shop" to a TV star that is giving out information to the masses on his very own show on a channel that is suppose to be known for HISTORY facts.

I am ignorant but I also know it and don't go on TV talking about the things I don't know as if they are fact. I have no problems with Rick admitting when he doesn't know something and says that he needs to have expert explain it to him. It is when he acts confident about something and leaves out qualifiers like "I think" or "it is possible". I did not see this episode so I am only talking from the general sense of watching the show not from this particular episode.
History Channel has very little history on it these days. All of the pawn and storage locker shows are staged, some more than others but I believe any of the negotiations over items that take place are reasonably close recreations of the actual deal. There must be many takes shot on some of these shows of certain scenes-they are all just too perfect. You have to remember it's TV and it's edited for entertainment value.

Having said that, I do enjoy Pawn Stars, Auction Hunters and Storage Wars; my 16 year old daughter likes the last two as well. I have also started watching American Pickers,although they cannot make a living on some of the deals they make; I assume they just show highlights and often times buy far more than is shown on the program.