View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Sometimes you do know that the other person's max bid wasn't much higher than your own.

Recently I won an ebay auction with a bid just 12cents higher than the under bidder. My max bid just happened to beat the other buyer by that much. Since I got mine in first it didn't matter that my bid wasn't at the actual bid increment that it was suppose to be. So in this case had the under bidder had time he (or she) could have quickly increased their bid by the minimum increment amount and won it.

but then you could have increased it too, then him then you, and it goes on forever until the price is 50 bucks higher. if he was willing to pay 50 more bucks for the piece, then why didnt he enter the higher bid right away?

thats what i dont get? if you enter the price you are willing to pay but not one cent more, and i mean the price that would almost make you cry, a price that you wouldnt add 1 cent if your life was on the line, then it doesnt matter if you are outbid by 12 cents, because if you were willing to bid 13 more cents to win it, why didnt you make a max bid that was 13 cents higher, or 10 dollars higher.

a max bid is a max bid, and if you were willing to pay more just to be the winner, then increase your max bid the first time you bid and be content, you cant win them all! There is always another dollar to chase, its fruitless.

If i wanted a card and it is generally worth 200 dollars in the condition that it is in, and i have been searching for this card for 20 years and i want it really bad, i imagine a bidding war in my head ahead of time, and i decide the absolute max that i would bid because i might never see it again the rest of my life. if i decide i would be willing to pay 450 dollars for it because i want it bad, then i enter my max bid of 450, and if someone else wins it for 450.01 then he wins. if i was willing to bid 2 cents more to win it, then 450 wasnt really my max bid, now was it. You got to stop sometime. If I WAS willing to go higher, then i need to figure out my max bid, a bid where i wouldnt bid even one cent more. if it is 500, 600 or 1000 for a 200 dollar card, then so be it. but if someone wants it more than me, he can bid higher. but there will be a price that i say to heck with it, i am done, and if you figure out that price before you bid for the first time, you can just bid right away and be done with it, and if someone wins with a 12 cent higher bid, then good for him!

Last edited by travrosty; 02-10-2012 at 12:24 AM.