View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 09:13 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I have four from years back:

I was the next to last sig for Willie Mays. A Kid was in line ahead of me w a book. Mays barked WHAT IS IT then when the kid told him. GIVE ME THE BOOK. The my ball was next. sloppy and smeared and rolled to me, and I later gave it away as a card show prize.

Met Mickey Mantle for six bucks at a car show. He had a cold, but still smiled and at least shook hands.

Met B Robby at a show, and he was incredible. HONORED that people cared bout him and his career.

My fave was when I was getting a Dennis Eckersley sig at a show I set up at. Eck wasn't in the Hall and was playing for Oakland at the time. Anyways, he was nice to me, but the little boy ahead of me was nervous to meet him. Eck asked him what was wrong. The kids dad told him he was nervous. Eck said "hey sonny, come here, he sat the kid next to him in a chair, took two pics and gave him an additional free signature too. The smile on the little boy and the look on his dad's face made my day.
Working for a Major League team has given me the opportunity to meet hall of famers and stars away from the limelight and I have to say I was never treated badly by any of them. Yogi Berra was a bit surly but very businesslike but I have to say he was the only one that came closest to being a bit nasty with me.

The memory of Dennis Eckersley that I have is that my first two years working for the team I was dugout security and I carried handcuffs in case we had people who ran on the field or into the dugout. A few teammates of Eck's borrowed my handcuffs and the next thing I know he is running out of the clubhouse and into the dugout where I was at, asking me where the key was. This was happening in the middle of the game and he was trying to hide this all from the manager. I had given the other players the key to the handcuffs as well so I didnt have it on my. Needless to say he wasnt very happy with me or his teammates. On a side note, I did arrange to get a pair of cuffs for a few different players on the team at their request. LOL