View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Zach

I once considered a pre war HOF rookie card collection. I got as far as a few 30s cards then realized it was way too expensive and some cards were way too rare. I also realized that prewar is way too cool of cards to spend my money on the "rookie" cards when there are non rookie cards that are better looking.
I actually collected every single post war era HOF rookie card except for 49 Leaf Satchel Paige because of how expensive and rare. I collected them all following these criteria:

1. The cards had to be from a main line set (Topps, Bowman, Fleer, etc.....)
2. It had to be a rookie card of a rookie player this excluded Jackie Robinson, Duke Snider, Warren Sphann, Ralph Kiner, Stan Musial, etc.... In my definition a rookie card is a card of a player in his first or second season. If the card was made during his third full season or later, then I do not consider it a "rookie" card.
3. If a player came to the pros and played for a partial season then went back to the minors for a few years, then came back and a card was released within a year after the return, I would consider that a rookie card. An example is Hank Greenberg, Carlton Fisk, and George Brett.
4. If the card was made during their third season but their first season was a half season or less, than I will consider that a rookie card. An example is Bill Herman or Yogi Berra.

Using these criteria for my consideration of a rookie card, I found that my list for HOF prewar cards was very short because of my criteria. But I couldn't bring myself to cross al prewar off my list so instead I collect HOF rookies postwar era only, and prewar I decided to just collect HOF cards I like, rookie card or not. I discovered that rookie cards make up some of the coolest post war era cards out there, but the rookie cards from prewar are not as neat many of times.