Thread: SMR vs. VCP
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

I have subscribed to VCP since November and use it every day. I use it in conjunction with ebay and searches of the major auction houses, to keep track of prices in my own spreadsheets for issues I'm interested in. It works well.

I find SMR to sometimes have weird information; for instance, it lists most of the T205 cards, but leaves some variations out - seems to be almost random. e.g-only one of the Wilhelm cards is listed. For other variations, it lists the same exact price for both variations, when real market price for the two is drastically different.

Regarding VCP, I find it odd that it is missing so much data, and it seems to be almost random. Sometimes ebay information shows up almost immediately - sometimes never. Same for major auction house data - it's easier sometimes to just google a card to check auction house results. You'll find stuff that way that isn't in VCP at all. As a former programmer, I don't think I could write a software program that would yield such weird results. Having said that, VCP still should give you a good enough idea in most cases, to make a purchase decision.