View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Eddie Plank and "Doc" Powers......perfect together

[linked image]

T206 Eddie Plank

It's been 2-3 years since I posted my "Plank theory" thread......

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...t+order&page=6

I haven't been able to discover any new evidence to support my contention that the T206 Plank was yanked due to a conflict with the American Caramel Co.

But, I have discovered that Plank was very much anti-tobacco in any form. And so was his Mgr., Connie Mack. Plank was a low-keyed guy and most likely did
not receive the "fanfare" that Wagner got for having their cards pulled from circulation. Plank's complaint was most likely resolved by a Cease & Desist Order
to ATC.
If so, then a mystery surrounds this situation, since ALC issued Plank again when they printed the SWEET CAPORAL 350 Factory 30 cards. But not too many,
as they had to yank Plank cards a 2nd time.

T206 Mike "Doc" Powers

The Powers card has been traditionally classified as a "150-Only" subject. I question this, since this card is found with a SWEET CAPORAL 150 Factory #649
(overprint) back. This tells us that Powers was designed to be a 150/350 subject. Unfortunately, Mike Powers died from complications of an injury that he suf-
fered at Shibe Park on Opening Day of the 1909 season. This was especially tragic for Eddie Plank since Powers had been his preferred catcher for many years.

Needless to say, ALC did not print any 350 series card of Powers. However, two T206 surveys (18,000+ cards) indicate that Powers' PIEDMONT 150 card and
the SWEET CAPORAL 150 Factory #649 (overprint) card were both Double-Printed on their respective sheets.

TED Z

a.k.a......T-Rex TEDE