View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunsteig View Post
Neat photo. But what's with the lettering on the jersey? If I didn't know better, it looks like it was photoshopped (poorly) to change it from Brooklyn to NY. Is it possible that's how his jersey looked in Horner's studio that day?

--S
I sent you a PM response last night, but here's a clarification: Dahlen was wearing a 'BROOKLYN' jersey for the photo shoot, as shown in the photo he's holding. I've seen these cabinet images changed to reflect new teams, using two techniques:

1) Altering the negative, then developing a new print. I think that's what was done here to remove 'BROOKLYN' (just dabbing bits of black ink on the negative). The 'NY' was probably painted onto a resulting print. The same negative could be used over and over, as he changed teams. It looks sort of ugly on the cabinet you are looking at, but if it was used to create a mass-produced image (like a Sporting Life cabinet), the remnants of 'BROOKLYN' wouldn't be so obvious.

2) Doing all alterations on a print. There was one recently sold on the board where the old team name was 'whited out' on an actual albumen image (It was a St. Louis player, but I don't remember who). The Sporting Life cabinet image was then created directly from the cabinet. I saw it at a card show shortly after the original cabinet was sold here.

What I'm not clear on (and David can probably explain) is that by altering the negative to remove 'BROOKLYN', Horner obviously no longer had a negative to create Brooklyn Dahlen images. I guess that's fine, but it makes the one that Dahlen is holding in the first photo, that much more rare.