View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 09:57 AM
J@son Du.nc@n

While I agree with mostly what is being said on here, I have to say this has a lot to do with the way ebay restructured things. Also as an eBay seller, I have been on both sides of the fence. I used to purchase items mostly through ebay alot more when the stores were no so prevalent. I think the sellers like myself with alot of items are forced to used the store method because of the cheap insertion fees. Auctioning right now is a real gamble and I think listing BIN (reasonable) with a Best Offer option is best. It gives the buyer an option to make a fair offer. I try to respond to ALL offers as rediculous as they may be. Trust me, I get plenty of stupid offers as well. Listing 5000+ items with $0.05 fee is easier than $0.35 etc. With that being said, there are PLENTY of sellers with no Best Offer option that have rediculous prices on their items.

A good example of how it works for me as a seller, is that I just sold a 1933 WWG Ruth through a Best Offer on ebay. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5#ht_500wt_699)
I had offers of $1 up to the price I sold it for at $1,025. I had it listed at $1,200 OBO. I settled on a price that I probably got out that at even money. The card was dead centered with EX corners and gorgeous color. It had 3 big creases through it and that is why is was an SGC 30. When I purchased the card, I bought the card....not the holder and paid more than a typical beat up 2. Aslo the WWGs are alot tougher than the regular Goudeys and not collected as much at all. With that being said, auctioning this card would have been a real gamble. I probably will not find another one like that with the same visual appeal. Now if you look at my stuff this week you will see some cards I have decided to auction like 54 B Ted WIlliams in EX+, a nice CLemente RC etc. I think the beauty of these cards will carry them so I decided to auction those.

My 2 cents........do not get hung up on how someone sells their items......its a free country and a free market still. Let them hold them forever. They will break sooner or later and BUY THE CARD NOT THE HOLDER. I have paid 50% more for items with eye appeal with the same technical grade. With that in mind, do not expect a seller to sell a much nicer appealing card for the same price as someone who just sold a card in the same technical graded holder that was beat to hell.

Jason
looking for 39-46 exhibit Gehrig